Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Don't Look Behind You; The Heiresses

Lois Duncan mentioned her book "Don't Look Behind You" in the book about her daughter's murder. The hitman in this one was named Mike Vamp, and apparently one of the suspects in her daughter's murder was known as Vamp, too. This book had been written but not yet published, I think, when her daughter was killed. Very creepy. The book itself was good (how I missed reading Duncan as a teen, I don't know. I guess because I read V.C. Andrews at 11 and Stephen King at 13, I missed the whole teen genre). April's dad has been secretly working for the FBI and now his life is in danger. The whole family has to go into witness protection, which is really awful. April misses her perfect life back home with her friends, her tennis, and her gorgeous boyfriend. She ends up putting the whole family at risk when she tries to contact him.

I'm such a big fan of Sara Shepard's teen books, and this one was great too. The start of a new series about a group of wealthy diamond heiresses who are being killed off one by one. There is something so addicting about her books. They're just fun and dishy. Anyway, the Saybrook family seems to be both blessed and cursed. When the most stable Saybrook, Poppy, is flung from her office window, the rest of the girls are determined to find out who did it. Shepard lays plenty of red herrings and twists along the way, pretty much guaranteeing  I'll never figure it out before the end and I'll be amazed :) I'm easily dazzled.

No comments: