Saturday, August 2, 2014

Alice Alone; Simply Alice; How the Hot Dog Found Its Bun

Since Phyllis Reynolds Naylor recently published the last Alice book, I've been going back and rereading, and in most cases, reading some for the first time. This is one I hadn't read before. "Alice Alone" finds Alice starting her freshman year of high school. She and her boyfriend, Patrick, break up, and she's drifting away from her good friends Pam and Elizabeth. I like how down to earth and awesome Alice is. She's such a good role model for girls with her kindness and her eschewing of gossip. I was too old for these books when they first came out, but I did read some in my twenties and liked them. If they'd been around when I was a young teen I would have adored them.


The next one, "Simply Alice" is the second half of freshman year. Alice starts seeing a new guy, Eric, who seems really cool but unfortunately he moves away at the end of the year. She and Elizabeth and Pam work out their issues and are good friends again. Alice is having fun trying new things, like working on the school newspaper and being part of the crew for the drama club's play.






"How the Hot Dog Found Its Bun" by Josh Chetwynd was a fun little fact filled book about how certain foods came to be, like hot dog buns, ice cream cones, gum, sandwiches, and many more. He also included neat facts about things like Teflon, S.O.S pads, and Saran Wrap. I love learning these new sorts of trivia facts, although they rarely stick. But sometimes I'll be watching Jeopardy! and I'll actually know something because I read it in a book like this and remembered it. I love those moments :)

No comments: