Saturday, January 31, 2015

Lovely, Dark and Deep; Pronto

I'm not a big fan of short stories, but I do love Joyce Carol Oates, and this collection of stories was quite good. The last one, "Patricide", was almost a novella and really stood out as one of the best stories in the book. They were all pretty good though.







After reading "Raylan" by Elmore Leonard I was eager for more Raylan stories, so I read "Pronto", which is the first book featuring US Marshal Givens. Harry runs a successful sports book in South Miami for Jimmy Cap and he's being set up to take a fall, Jimmy's been told Harry's been skimming. Harry kills a guy Jimmy sends after him and takes off for Italy while under Raylan's protection. This is the second time Harry's run off and made Raylan look the fool, and Raylan isn't too pleased about it, so he goes off to Italy to bring him back. Lots of black humor and Southern charm, I enjoyed it.

No comments: