Thursday, May 14, 2015

Maplecroft; The Devil is Here in These Hills

I tried reading a book by Cherie Priest before, a Steampunk book called "Boneshaker", and I couldn't get into it. I thought I'd give her another try, since she's writing about a subject near and dear to my heart: Lizzie Borden. I finished this one, but I didn't really like it. It was very bizarre, I think the premise was something like Lizzie killed her parents because they were turning into sea monsters and she and her sister were researching it and they found some interesting specimens that Emma sent to a scientist and it ended up turning him into a raving, murdering lunatic who comes to Fall River to kill them. It was just very...odd.



After watching "Justified", I was eager to learn more about coal miners, so I picked up James Green's "The Devil is Here in These Hills", about West Virginia coal miners' struggle for freedom and equality. It was really quite moving, if a bit confusing. There were so many names of people I'd never heard of it was hard to keep everything straight. I still got something out of it, though, I think, about how these hardworking men were fighting against the company and the government at the same time. It's a rough life for sure.

No comments: