Saturday, June 13, 2015

I Regret Nothing; Leaving Time

I love Jen Lancaster. I raced through her latest memoir, "I Regret Nothing", and I don't regret it :) It was great, laugh out loud funny in most parts. Jen has written a bucket list, things she wants to do so she'll have no regrets when she goes, like learning to ride a bicycle again and traveling to Italy. She does go off a bit on how social media is driving her crazy, how the critics and jerks are starting to get to her confidence (and I totally agree with her about how awful it all is), which is distressing to me. I always imagined her as just this bad ass who says "so what?" when people diss her, but of course she's not that hard-shelled. Few normal humans are. Don't listen to the haters, Jen. Seriously. You're awesome. Hilarious and snarky and you do a lot of things I do, too. And because of your ability to laugh at yourself, I'm getting better about it as well. Which is a good thing, I've always taken myself way too seriously.


I wasn't terribly impressed with Jodi Picoult's latest, "Leaving Time", even though it wasn't as controversial as most of her other books have been. Jenna is thirteen and is searching for her mom, a well known elephant behavior researcher, who disappeared ten years earlier. Her father is in a mental hospital, so he's no help, and her grandmother doesn't seem to care, so it's up to Jenna. She contacts a disgraced psychic named Serenity, and tracks down one of the detectives who originally investigated the case, Virgil. Be careful what you wish for, Jenna. The ending was very "Sixth Sense" and left me going "huh?". Oh well. I learned a lot about elephants, at any rate.

No comments: