Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Bazaar of Bad Dreams

I have the worst habit of buying books that I never read because I have too many library books checked out. Since the library books have a due date, I feel like they're more pressing. So I end up never getting to the books I love enough to actually buy, which is completely backwards. New Year's Resolution! Same as every year: read more of the books I own. So I started with Stephen King's latest collection of short stories, published last October. And I tell you, I had the weirdest sense of deja vu reading these stories. With the exception of "Obits", I felt like I had read every single one of them before. Most of them *were* previously published, but in places like Atlantic Magazine, where I never would have seen them (with the exception of "Blockade Billy", which I know I've read before as it was published separately). I don't know if it's because I've read so much of his work that everything's starting to sound the same or if I'm losing my mind (smart money's on the latter). At any rate, they were all pretty good.

No comments: