Sunday, April 17, 2016

Alligator Candy; The Art of the Con

I really enjoyed David Kushner's memoir "Alligator Candy". In 1973, his older brother Jon was abducted and murdered by two low life scumbags, forever changing David's family. His parents sound like they were brave and amazingly strong people. The community rallied for the 8 days that Jon was missing, trying to find him. This was in the days before the FBI got involved in such matters and police and other law enforcement agencies didn't have the resources they do now. It was heartbreaking, I cried during a lot of it, but very well written.




I know absolutely nothing about the world of fine art, so I had no idea how prevalent forgeries and fakes are, nor did I have any idea about how hard it is to track down and catch the perpetrators. And, shockingly, what lenient sentences those types of crime usually get! It was really interesting, very fascinating all the way around, and luckily he wrote it in such a way that even someone like me, with zero art background, could still understand and appreciate.

No comments: