Friday, April 29, 2016

Trixie Belden and the Mystery off Glen Road; Mystery of the Velvet Gown; Mystery of the Midnight Maraurder

I thought rereading some old favorites might snap me out of my funk. Whenever I reread Trixie Belden, I start with "Mystery off Glen Road". It's my favorite. I love how it was basically just a series of misunderstandings that caused the mystery, it's much more realistic than most of the others, where they're catching bank robbers and the like. The Wheeler's gamekeeper quits the Bob Whites volunteer to do his job until a replacement can be found. The boys are working on repairing the clubhouse roof so Honey and Trixie have to do the majority of the patrolling and they find evidence of a poacher! It's so funny.



I already read Glen Road, so I thought I'd pick one that I don't normally reread, and got "The Mystery of the Velvet Gown". I was surprised I remembered how it ended. The kids' drama teacher, Miss Darcy, is acting very suspicious. Of course it could be because her father is missing. Trixie soon discovers she's in the midst of a gem smuggling conspiracy!







I remembered this one, too. The kids' school is vandalized by someone styling themselves as the Midnight Marauder (side note: I learned so many new words from reading these books, I used to write down the ones I didn't know and look them up in the dictionary. Thanks, Mart!). The police suspect Mart, since he's been seen at school after hours and has been acting awfully suspicious lately. Turns out Mart has a lot on his mind: he's the school paper's new star columnist, Miss Lonelyheart! Mart's been getting dozens of letters from kids begging for advice, and he's in over his head. He's sure one of his letter writers is the Midnight Marauder, they just don't know which one.

No comments: